black t shirt|
Blu-ray Disc provides several features and enjoys distinct advantages over DVD, although BD can only support HDTV.
Best Picture resolution
Blu-ray Disc delivers full 1080p* video resolution to provide pristine pure picture quality.
Excellent Audio quality
Blu-ray Disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, compressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
Protects Entertainment Industry
DRM is the copyright protection scheme the media industry uses to prevent piracy, and the Blu-ray’s technology in this realm is actually quite exciting. The possibility exists for users to copy the content of a disc a limited number of times.
Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, exciting, new bonus features, and network/Internet connectivity.
BLU-RAY DISC and DVD
Compatibility with DVD
BD has huge capacity storage and delivers 5 times the capacity of a DVD, just like DVD can store 5-10 times more than a CD. This is due, among other reasons, to the usage of a blue instead of a red laser and improved lens specifications, allowing for a much smaller focus laser beam which enables the recording of much smaller and higher density pits on the disc. Due to the fact that the data layer on a Blu-ray Disc is placed much “closer” to the laser lens than in DVD, there is less distortion resulting in significantly improved tolerances. Hence, more precision and ultra-high storage densities are now possible. Although Blu-ray can’t quite fit an entire series of HD-quality material in a single disc, it could potentially fit an entire series of standard DVD quality stuff.
The advantages and disadvantages of a Blu-ray disc over DVD is given below:
1. Maximum picture resolution
2. Largest capacity; Offers up to 5 times DVD capacity
3. Best audio quality
4. Scratch proof disc
5. Integrates DVD also
6. PC supports BD
7. Increased Interactivity through BD-Live
8. Quality support from Sony and Philips
9. Supports PlayStation 3
10. Protects digital copy rights for Entertainment industry and prevent piracy
1. Steep Price
2. HDTV required
3. Though storage capacity is high, it can’t hold HD content for longer duration in a single disc
4. Competition from HD-DVD player, and it’s cheaper, is a threat to Blu-Ray market. Blu-ray also faces competition from Video on demand and from new technologies that allow access to movies on any format or device, such as Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem or Disney’s Keychest.
Movie buffs have shell out extra 5-10 dollars per movie. Since BD is compatible with DVD old favorites are taken care of by the new technology and the DVDs which were picked up in the past will not go waste and taken advantage by BD. Blu-ray makes a big difference, the media holds a lot more video data than DVD, the quality improvement is pretty awesome on LCD TVs. I would definitely recommend buying a Blu-ray player or a PS3. BD is there to stay for a long time!
write by Aubrey